Lake Ontario 600 Challenge
Plan your ultimate sailing challenge to go twice-around in 2018!
Congratulations to all sailors who started and finished in the second Lake Ontario 600 Challenge in July 2016. They’ve earned well-deserved bragging rights having completed the 600 nautical miles non-stop on Lake Ontario.
The next edition is scheduled for July 2018, with future races to be held every two years.
Eight boats competed in the inaugural 2014 race, with winning flags going to:
- Taking first in the LO600 based on best corrected time in PHRF was Brent Hughes, who raced solo in his C&C35 Pearl from Frenchman’s Bay Yacht Club. This came after earning the Sperry Cup Trophy on his first lap, with a first overall in the LO300 on corrected time in PHRF.
- In second place in the LO600, on corrected time, was Murray Gainer and the J109 Lively from Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club.
- In third, on corrected time, was the C&C 115 Happy Puppy, skippered by Daniel McKindsey, who took line honours for the inaugural LO600, crossing the finish line after an elapsed four days, 16 hours and 43 minutes.
LO600 2014 Race Results
|Yacht Name||Yacht Design||Owner/Skipper||Rating||Elapsed Time||Corrected Time|
|1||Pearl||C&C 35||Brent Hughes||138.0 / 1.0501||5:07:32:12||5:13:55:35|
|2||Lively||J 109||Murray Gainer||72.0 / 1.1964||4:19:37:12||5:18:19:40|
|3||Happy Puppy||C&C 115||Daniel McKindsey||58.0 / 1.2329||4:16:43:12||5:18:58:21|
|4||JoelyRose||Catalina 36 Type 1||Gene Joelson||147.0 / 1.0328||5:18:21:21||5:22:53:38|
|5||Better Still||Elite 326||David Courtney||144.0 / 1.0385||5:19:05:22||6:00:26:40|
|6||Upstart||Sunfast 3200||Bert Barrett||96.0 / 1.1387||5:09:58:09||6:03:59:45|
|7||Doubletime||C&C 27 MK V||Brian Mitchell||177.0 / 0.9793||6:08:10:05||6:05:01:05|
|8||Rouleur||J 124||Geoff Cornish||41.0 / 1.2803||5:01:23:10||6:11:24:38|
About the Lake Ontario 600 race
The LO600 is a biannual event that offers sailors an exhilarating long-distance offshore racing challenge to go twice around Lake Ontario. First held in 2014, the next edition is planned for July 2016, in conjunction with the annual Lake Ontario 300.
The race: Circumnavigate Lake Ontario on the Lake Ontario 300 Main Duck course, cross the finish line, and repeat immediately: a non-stop, 600-mile sailing challenge.
Who’s eligible: The LO600 Challenge is open to all sailing divisions; fully crewed, double handed and single handed, with a number of pre-requisites:
- Skippers of fully crewed and double handed yachts must have completed at least one Main Duck Course Lake Ontario 300 Race.
- The Solo challenge is open to all members of the Great Lakes Single Handed Society (GLSS), regardless of whether they have sailed a Lake Ontario 300 race.
- Only yachts with a PHRF rating of 183 and lower (or corresponding level of IRC rating) will be qualified to sail in this Challenge.
Will you be up for the 2016 challenge? To get ready and plan your campaign, watch for news and updates on the 2016 edition at the LOOR.ca website.